Porcelain– is a beautiful home accent and an extremely long-lasting option; it retains its sparkling finish for years- as long as it’s cleaned regularly. Porcelain always ranks as an ideal flooring choice among homeowners due to its beauty. Porcelain comes in a variety of shades- moderately due to its moisture and stain resistance. Though, loses its luster over time, porcelain can be cleaned minimally and refurbished to its original shine.
Cleaning Porcelain Tile Flooring-
Porcelain is among the easiest flooring materials to clean. It can be easily vacuumed twice a week or you can also clean porcelain with a damp sponge.
Though Porcelain is impervious, there is a possibility for its surface to stain. Here you can choose a cleaner specifically formulated for porcelain tile. However, be cautious while using cleaners because at times unglazed surfaces may discolor. Hence, for these important concerns on your porcelain, we have categorized on how to clean various types of Porcelain Tile surfaces.
Polished/ Glazed Porcelain Tile
Unpolished Porcelain Tile
Polished/ Glazed Porcelain Tile-
For polished/ glazed porcelain tiles, follow these simple instructions-
- Vacuum the loose debris and dirt from the floor, and then go over the area with a dry dust mop.
2. Mop your floor with a mild cleaner and water. Use the solution, diluted to half strength.
3. Next to it, rinse the floor with plain water thoroughly.
4. Dry the area with the towel to augment the shine and to prevent water spots on the surface.
Unpolished/ unglazed Porcelain Tile-
For Unpolished/ unglazed porcelain tile floor cleaning, following is the procedure-
- Vacuum the floor thoroughly to remove debris and dirt.
2. Soak the floor with the cleaners mixed in hot water and stir; allow the mix to stand on floor for 5- 10 minutes. Do not allow the cleaners to dry on the surface for longer time as it may result in staining and streaking.
Note- It is best to work in small sections to ensure the cleaner is applied and removed in a timely manner.
- For stubborn stains, scrub the cleaner with a soft- bristle brush.
2. Wipe the dirty cleaner on the floor and wash the area with clean water.
3. Dry the area with a clean microfiber cloth or a towel.
For deeply stained unpolished porcelain tiles, proceed with aggressive cleaning methods.
A textured porcelain tile surface requires some additional cleaning procedure.
Here you can follow these instructions to clean textures tiles-
- Vacuum the debris and dirt from the floor, to sweep the floor use a soft- bristle broom and sweep in two directions-
a. First in the direction of tile
b. Sweep diagonally to ensure complete cleaning of all dirt that might exist in the texture.
2. Saturate the surface with a neutral cleaner in hot water and stir. Allow the cleaner to stay on the floor for 5- 10 minutes.
3. After the solution has set on the floor, scrub the area with a soft brush to clean away the dirt following the same in two-way direction.
4. Clean the porcelain tile with clean water (plain/ hot) to remove the solution on the floor.
5. Dry the area with a clean microfiber cloth or a towel.
For high traffic areas, suggested to scrub the floor once a day and wet mop regularly.
Preventions and Safety Measures-
- Do not clean porcelain tile flooring with harsh cleaners that contain ammonia, bleach or acids. Acids and ammonia based cleaners may alter grout color.
2. Never use wax cleaners or oil- based detergents.
3. Do not use any solutions that contain dye or coloring on unglazed porcelain tile.
4. Use rags or door mats at your doorways to prevent dust or dirt from being tracked.
5. Never use steel wool pads on porcelain, as the steel particles may set in the tile and cause rust stains.
6. Avoid using hard scrub brushes as they may scratch the surface.
Avoid staining the floor by wiping up spills as soon as you notice.
7. With little care and maintenance, you can keep your porcelain tile flooring in good condition for ages.